- Location: Remote
- Type: Full Time
- Experience: Experienced
This position has been filled.
We are looking for a third web developer to join our existing engineering team of two web developers and two mobile engineers. (We are also hiring two more mobile engineers!)
Our flagship apps - Zombies, Run! and The Walk – combine innovative real-world interaction and gameplay with captivating stories and design. In short, we make exercising fun. We want to find someone who can help us maintain and improve our existing apps and develop new experiences that are just as revolutionary and innovative.
As a senior web developer at Six to Start, you will help sustain and improve the infrastructure that powers Zombies, Run!, an app with 10 million downloads. You’ll work with a fully remote development team and be able to make an impact straight away.
This is a fully-remote position open to all locations, but you will need to overlap with at least 3 hours of 9am-5pm UK time (e.g. 9am to 12pm, or 2-5pm, etc.)
Our pay range is £68,000 to £75,000 dependent on experience.
Please apply for this job if you:
- Have a passion and capacity for learning
- Have already learned from working on big development projects, whether those projects were successful or otherwise
- Are familiar with any two of our industry standard tools:
- git, and either GitHub or GitLab
- JIRA, or similar "ticket-based" workload management
- Command line tools such as
We are especially keen to hear from applicants who:
- Are from communities historically underrepresented in tech
- Care about building and maintaining equality and inclusion in our workplace and product
- Have goofed around or more with
- Docker and Kubernetes
- "Cloud" platforms such as AWS or Google Cloud
We make content for absolutely everyone
At Six to Start we believe in everyone's right to exist and be seen. We tell diverse stories in our app with caring, idealistic characters that our players love. Our workplace reflects this mission with our commitment to equality, inclusion and mutual support. Here's what some of our players say:
"I love this beautiful inclusive world you've created that you've allowed us to be a part of. Zombies, Run! has helped me through a lot of trying times and I don't know what I'd be doing without y'all."
"Zombies, Run is an exercise app, but its ALSO an incredible audio podcast where u are the main character. has lovable diverse cast of chars. and motivates you IRL to exercise at any pace you prefer! its literally the only thing thats ever made me exercise for fun and i love it."
We are not a startup
We think "hustle" is code for overwork. From the way we plan projects onward, we do everything we can to ensure people work 40 hours a week even in release-heavy months. We also support part-time working and extra flexibility for meeting needs and challenges like caring for others, crisis and personal health.
We prefer stable software and established patterns
We consider a clever solution to be one that takes less code and effort than anticipated, rather than something that no-one has ever seen before. The best documentation is the documentation we don't even have to write, because someone else already wrote it.
About the Job
We are web generalists who are capable of working across front-end development, backend development, services and web infrastructure, though we also like to specialise individually (you may have heard this described as being "t-shaped").
Far more important than your knowledge of specific technologies is your enthusiasm and capacity for learning.
We expect everyone to:
- Be able to get started with an unfamiliar technology by googling a tutorial and following it
- Be willing to work in multiple programming languages and participate in code review to help elevate everyone's programming skills
- Keep work-in-progress on branches in our upstream git repositories
- Report progress and discuss big architecture decisions in our weekly meetings
- Be available on Slack during core work hours
As a small company, the job of caring about the details falls to every one of us. When you write code and design systems at Six to Start, you'll need to be thoughtful and take care with:
- System security
- User privacy
- Management of technical debt
- Writing documentation
What We're Working On
We can't explain our roadmap too much, but right now we are looking at problems like:
- Building dashboards in order to learn more from our anonymous analytics
- Adding more features and episode content to our player-facing website
- Improving our content publishing platform so that our production team can double and triple the number of new episodes that we publish every year
- Building our next generation data architecture so that we can reduce data storage costs and improve performance in the app
How to Apply
This position has been filled.