- Location: Remote (ideally Europe/Asia)
- Type: 4 days/week (32 hours)
- Experience: Experienced
We are looking for an empathetic, thoughtful and tech-literate Engineering Manager to marshal and nurture our rapidly-growing engineering team.
Our flagship apps - Zombies, Run! and The Walk – combine innovative real-world interaction and gameplay with captivating stories and design. In short, we make exercising fun. We want to find someone to organise and evolve the engineering team and its processes as we improve our existing apps and develop new experiences that are just as revolutionary and innovative.
As Engineering Manager at Six to Start, you will work closely with product owners and team leads to direct engineering effort. You will design and facilitate focused, effective processes. You'll also work with every individual engineer to support their workplace needs and professional development.
This is a fully-remote position open to all locations, but you will need to overlap with at least 9am-12pm UK time.
Our pay range is £50,000 to £60,000 pro rata (i.e. £40,000 to £48,000 for 4 days/week), dependent on experience.
Please apply for this job if you:
- Believe that the key to a successful workplace is effective care and empowerment of its people
- Have experience managing teams of engineers to deliver large, complex solutions
- Can wrangle people and processes across multiple teams to ensure a stress-free release process as we ship bug fixes and new features
- Are comfortable being hands-on with the industry-standard tools that we use at our workplace
- git, and either GitHub or GitLab
- JIRA, or similar "ticket-based" workload management
We are especially keen to hear from applicants who:
- Are from communities historically underrepresented in tech
- Care about building and maintaining equality and inclusion in our workplace and product
We make content for absolutely everyone
At Six to Start we believe in everyone's right to exist and be seen. We tell diverse stories in our app with caring, idealistic characters that our players love. Our workplace reflects this mission with our commitment to equality, inclusion and mutual support. Here's what some of our players say:
"I love this beautiful inclusive world you've created that you've allowed us to be a part of. Zombies, Run! has helped me through a lot of trying times and I don't know what I'd be doing without y'all."
"Zombies, Run is an exercise app, but its ALSO an incredible audio podcast where u are the main character. has lovable diverse cast of chars. and motivates you IRL to exercise at any pace you prefer! its literally the only thing thats ever made me exercise for fun and i love it."
We are not a startup
We think "hustle" is code for overwork. From the way we plan projects onward, we do everything we can to ensure people work 40 hours a week even in release-heavy months. We also support part-time working and extra flexibility for meeting needs and challenges like caring for others, crisis and personal health.
About the Job
- Manage the engineering roadmap, meeting with product owners and engineering team leads to discuss progress and set priorities.
- Work with product owners to design and specify improvements and new features.
- Meet with engineering teams for retrospectives and sprint planning.
- Regularly meet with each engineer to ensure they have the support they need, to discuss issues, and to create opportunities for professional development.
- Anticipate, understand, and respond to player issues by liaising with Support and QA teams, and triaging user feedback.
- Ensure that we effectively address user privacy, accessibility, security and management of technical debt as we build new features.
- Advocate for and actively develop practices like Continuous Integration and Delivery to reduce developer burden and busywork.
- Critically assess all of our processes for value, uncovering opportunities to improve our meetings, business tools and development practices.
What We're Working On
We can't explain our roadmap too much, but right now we are looking at problems like:
- Internationalising and localising Zombies, Run!
- Adding new fitness and gameplay features to Zombies, Run!
- Building dashboards in order to learn more from our anonymous analytics
- Adding more features and episode content to our player-facing website
- Improving our content publishing platform so that our production team can double and triple the number of new episodes that we publish every year
- Building our next generation data architecture so that we can reduce data storage costs and improve performance in the app
How to Apply
Get in touch at hello AT sixtostart.com with the subject Engineering Manager and your CV attached. No recruitment agencies.