We're an indie game developer based in London, and our flagship title is Zombies, Run!, a running game and audio adventure that melds GPS and accelerometer data with an epic story and fantastic gameplay. With 500,000 sales across iOS and Android and a pricetag from $3.99 to $7.99, it's the most successful smartphone fitness game in the world - and it's been nominated for awards by Develop, the Design Museum, SXSW, and more.
We want an Android developer who can help make our games - including Zombies, Run! and a new project with the Department of Health - even better and even more polished by using the latest software and hardware features in Android 4.0. And we want someone who can help think up and create entirely new game concepts that use smartphones, tablets, and other wearable devices and computers in novel ways.
In other words, we want your help to make the games of the future.
What's working at Six to Start like?
- You get to talk directly to everyone who makes the game - we're an nimble team of eleven right now, and decisions get made quickly.
- You get the hardware and software you need; we're an Apple shop and everyone has an extra display.
- We provide all staff with a generous personal budget for games, consoles, running gear, and other work-related things.
- We're flexible on hours and on occasionally working from home.
- We've got a laid-back atmosphere - we have an hour for lunch and we regularly go out on funded lunches, dinners, cinema trips, and more.
- You get real responsibility and public credit for the work we do. We're regularly invited to speak at conferences around the world and it's important that our developers take advantage of these opportunities.
- We offer a competitive salary based on experience.
Most importantly, we get emails every day from people whose lives we’ve improved with our games - people who’ve lost weight, become healthier, and gained confidence. There’s nothing like knowing that your work is valued by hundreds of thousands and is doing good in the world.
Skills & Requirements
- 1+ years experience of professional Android development
- We need you to show us something you have coded. It doesn’t need to be a game, it doesn’t need to have graphics, it doesn’t even have to have zombies, it just needs to be interesting.
- You're able to work from our office in Gospel Oak (nearest tubes: Kentish Town/Tufnell Park)
- You’re flexible in your habits and what you’re willing to learn; we’re an indie developer and everyone’s job can be very fluid. If you aren’t comfortable with that, this is not the place for you. But if you like trying out new things and learning very quickly, it is.
- Being friendly and approachable!
- An interest in games and game design, and a tenacious approach to problem-solving.
- Experience in a related field (e.g. web development, UI/UX design, sound engineering, multiple mobile platforms, hardware hacking, etc.)
- Experience adapting or ‘porting’ games or apps from one platform to another.
- Proven ability to work independently, manage your own time and hit deliverable dates.
Our philosophy is that good developers are able to learn new languages quickly - that's why we don't require multiple years of Android or IOS experience for this job, and why we welcome developers who have an equally strong passion for learning.
Pay is dependent on experience and competitive. Get in touch at email@example.com with the subject your CV attached and cover letter attached. No recruitment agencies.
About Six to Start
Six to Start creates games and interactive experiences for smartphones, the web, and the real world. We've won a whole host of awards including SXSW Best of Show and Best Game, and before making Zombies, Run!, we worked on major projects for the BBC, Channel 4, Disney Imagineering (the guys who make all the insanely cool stuff), Microsoft, and the British Museum.
We're profitable, bootstrapped, and expanding rapidly. No need to worry about funding here.
We're offering a competitive salary and the chance to make games that will be remembered by hundreds of thousands of people decades from now.