We're an indie game developer based in London, and our flagship title is Zombies, Run!, a running game and audio adventure that melds GPS and accelerometer data with an epic story and fantastic gameplay. With 500,000 sales across iOS and Android and a pricetag from $3.99 to $7.99, it's the most successful smartphone fitness game in the world - and it's been nominated for awards by Develop, the Design Museum, SXSW, and more.
In other words, we want your help to make the games of the future.
What's working at Six to Start like?
- You get to talk directly to everyone who makes the game - we're an nimble team and decisions get made quickly.
- You get the hardware and software you need; we're an Apple shop and everyone has an extra display.
- We provide all staff with a generous personal budget for games, consoles, running gear, and other work-related things.
- We're flexible on hours and on occasionally working from home.
- We've got a laid-back atmosphere - we have an hour for lunch and we regularly go out on funded lunches, dinners, cinema trips, and more.
- You get real responsibility and public credit for the work we do. We're regularly invited to speak at conferences around the world and it's important that our developers take advantage of these opportunities.
- We offer a competitive salary based on experience.
Most importantly, we get emails every day from people whose lives we’ve improved with our games - people who’ve lost weight, become healthier, and gained confidence. There’s nothing like knowing that your work is valued by hundreds of thousands and is doing good in the world.
Skills & Requirements
- A working knowledge of server-side development (in any language).
- Experience with and a strong interest in mobile web development.
- You're able to work from our office in Gospel Oak (nearest tubes: Kentish Town/Tufnell Park)
- You’re flexible in your habits and what you’re willing to learn; we’re an indie developer and everyone’s job can be very fluid. If you aren’t comfortable with that, this is not the place for you. But if you like trying out new things and learning very quickly, it is.
- Being friendly and approachable!
- An interest in games and game design, and a tenacious approach to problem-solving.
- You consider yourself a “full-stack” engineer with experience in server administration, application deployment, databases, hosted platforms, and all aspects of client application development.
- You have experimented with frontend MV* frameworks such as Backbone, Angular and Knockout.
- You also have experience with Python and Django, our current backend framework of choice.
- You have experience in other related fields (e.g. UI/UX design, sound engineering, multiple mobile platforms, hardware hacking, etc.)
- You have experience adapting or porting games or apps from one platform to another.
- You have a proven ability to work independently, manage your own time and hit deliverable dates.
Pay is dependent on experience and competitive. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject your CV attached and cover letter attached. No recruitment agencies.
About Six to Start
Six to Start creates games and interactive experiences for smartphones, the web, and the real world. We've won a whole host of awards including SXSW Best of Show and Best Game, and before making Zombies, Run!, we worked on major projects for the BBC, Channel 4, Disney Imagineering (the guys who make all the insanely cool stuff), Microsoft, and the British Museum.
We're profitable, bootstrapped, and expanding rapidly. No need to worry about funding here.
We're offering a competitive salary and the chance to make games that will be remembered by hundreds of thousands of people decades from now.